Serves 8 to 10, can be halved
2 cans of kidney beans, or 1 lb of dried beans (if selecting the dried option, you will need to soak these the night before and cook them for at least 30-60 minutes before proceeding with the recipe below)
2 cups of rice
1 can of coconut milk
3-4 sprigs of green onion
1 teaspoon of thyme (dried) or 6-8 sprigs of fresh thyme
½ teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon oil (canola or olive)
- Heat the oil in a stock pot or Dutch oven until glistening.
- Add rice and stir until all are covered in oil, about 5 minutes
- Add salt and thyme and stir into rice.
- Open cans of kidney beans and rinse in a colander. Add to pot (or if working with dried beans that you have soaked, drain and rinse and add to pot).
- Add liquid: This should be a combination of coconut milk and water so that it adds up to 3 cups.
- Stir rice, beans, liquid together and add green onions.
- Bring to a boil and then once it has reached a boil, lower to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for an additional 5 minutes.
Jennifer Ho is an associate professor in the department of English and comparative literature.