Creativity, in Quotes: Gregory DeCandia

Gregory DeCandia in rehearsal of "Silhouettes of Service." (photo by Kristen Chavez)

Gregory DeCandia in rehearsal of “Silhouettes of Service.” (photo by Kristen Chavez)

Q: How is creativity important to your work as an actor and playwright?

A: Creativity holds the answer to any conflict. Creativity presents a palate of possibilities while struggling to construct a complicated character, attempting to craft a work that truthfully speaks to a community and simply trying to navigate a meaningful existence.

Q: What gets your creative juices flowing?

A: I am always electrified after witnessing any fits of passion: a play, a poem, paintings, graffiti art, television, a YouTube post, the complexities of an argument, the infectious beat of a song — the list goes on and on.

Q: What’s your biggest “fail?” How and what did you learn from that experience?

A: My biggest “fail” was not learning from prior from experiences but rather plotting revenge. For many years I deemed this seemingly infinite vengeful energy as inspiration but its negative root began to permeate my collaborative process and poison possibilities. My primary focus in the UNC Professional Actor Training Program has been to eradicate my pessimism, and what I’ve learned is it is a daily struggle but delivers dynamic results.

Gregory DeCandia

PlayMakers Repertory Company Member

UNC MFA Candidate ’16, Professional Actor Training Program

Documentary Playwright, Silhouettes of Service